Friday, January 11, 2008

Spurgeon at the Bat

How I wish that we had more men like Spurgeon in charge of our Bible colleges & seminaries: men who do not allow a young buck's profession of a call to ministry to trump objective, Scriptural qualifications. In his Lectures to My Students (vol. 1, Lecture 2) he says:

"We never tried to make a minister, and should fail if we did; we receive none into the College but those who profess to be ministers already. It would be nearer the truth if they called me a parson killer, for a goodly number of beginners have received their quietus from me; and I have the fullest ease of conscience in reflecting upon what I have so done. It has always been a hard task for me to discourage a hopeful young brother who has applied for admission to the College. My heart has always leaned to the kindest side, but duty to the churches has compelled me to judge with severe discrimination."

No comments: